Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop where you can now find personalized camping gear or download Our Favorite Camping Recipes eBook!
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camp cooking essentials:
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors.
- We love these BBQ Cooking Gloves because they make handling campfire food a whole lot safer!
Camp Cooker Dessert Hack:
- White bread
- Pie filling
Tips for cooking with a camp cooker:
- When cooking with a camp cooker, begin by applying non stick cooking spray or oil to the inside of both cooking plates. This step is important so that your delicious meal doesn’t stick to the plates and burn.
- Place your recipe ingredients into the cooker before closing and latching it.
- Cook the recipe over an open fire. We recommend placing the cooker over the fire for two minutes before unlatching, checking for doneness and flipping the cooker over to cook the other side.
- Use caution when handling both the metal latch and handles as they can become hot while cooking.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size freezer bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
We can’t wait to try more variations and combos!
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this camp cooker dessert hack, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
Camp Cooker Dessert Hack
- White bread
- Pie filling
1. Layer bread, pie filling, marshmallows and bread in a greased camp cooker.
2. Toast over the campfire.
3. Enjoy the warm, melty goodness!
These are great! My favorite is cream cheese and cherry pie filling. I like the lemon idea – will put that on the shopping list for the next camping adventure. Yum! -Mrs. G
For the love of God woman! Now I have to go get one of these & try one of your creations. I really don’t even camp. Sigh.
Think I’ll just do it over the open flame of my stove. LOL
They’re MUCH better (taste more like “pie” than like toasty bread) if you BUTTER the outsides of your bread before putting them in cooker. FYI. lol.
Slice cake doughnuts in half. Put in pie iron with a small dollop of pudding (vanilla or butterscotch), some tidbit pineapple and a sliced marshmallow. Holy yum!!!!