This year we are keeping our vacation plans close to home with these awesome local travel ideas. These trips are perfect local vacation ideas for winter!
1 – Girls Trip to a nearby vacation rental:
There are so many beautiful vacation rentals to be found close to home. Check out vacation rentals by owner for a listing of places that would make for the perfect girls getaway.
We recently had the opportunity to visit an absolutely gorgeous property in Nanoose Bay. This girls trip had spectacular ocean views, stunning accommodations and delicious food.
I am a firm believer in self care so this trip was especially important for us mommas. We were ready for a much deserved getaway after the chaos of summer vacation and back to school.
Tips for planning a local girls trip:
- Find a property that can accommodate the number in your group and has the amenities that you are looking for.
- Coordinate a date that works for everyone (this is often the hardest part).
- Book the location on Home Escape or VRBO.
- Plan for transportation. Which vehicle to take, are you car pooling, do you need to reserve ferry rides?
- Schedule a tentative itinerary of activities. Making a reservation at restaurants and booking activities may be required.
- Create a packing list.
2 – Family Escape to the local ski hill:
Local ski hills are a great place to take the whole family during the winter months!
Big White, our local ski hill, will see a drastic reduction in visitors this year making more rentals available to locals. Why not book a week away for the family?! Be sure to check your hill for a schedule of activities that are available.
I’ve had the privilege of helping my friend Amber decorate her newly renovated place at Big White. It looks absolutely stunning and is now available for rent! Check out the rental listing on VRBO.
Things to do with the family at the local ski hill:
- tobogganing or sledding
- bon fire and hot dog roast
- skiing or snowboarding
- family game night
- visiting the village and shops
- skating or snowshoeing
3 – Couples Getaway to a hot spring:
We are blessed in British Columbia to be surrounded by many local hot springs. But if you are not, substitute “spa” for “hot spring” for your couples getaway.
Hot springs are especially lovely in the winter in my opinion. It’s so nice to warm up in a hot pool after a day spent in the chilly snow. There are many hot springs to chose from! From a rustic winter hike and campout to full on luxury spa, you can book the getaway that best suites you and your partner.
I have done both, the 12 km hike into Halfway Hotsprings last winter was one I will not soon forget. This year we have booked a more luxurious stay at Halcyon Hotsprings that requires zero hiking. Check out my How to Pack for a Two Night Backpacking Trip post if that’s the direction you want to go!
Tips for planning a local hot spring getaway:
- Book early as many commercial hot springs are now closed to day use visitors.
- Consider going during the week to avoid crowds.
- Research local, hike in hot springs and plan for the weather and conditions.
Our fun, local vacation ideas for winter:
- Plan a girls trip to a nearby Home Escape or VRBO.
- Take the family for a snowy escape to your local ski hill.
- Go on a couples getaway to a spa or hot spring.
How are you planning on staying active this winter? Share your fun “staycation” plans!