This superhero flip t-shirt tutorial is super easy to follow and makes the cutest alter ego t-shirts for kids!
This post was originally shared over at 733 last week.
Now it becomes a part of
One For The Boys ~ T-shirt Week
as I am posting it here just in case you missed it.
Have you seen those flip shirts that say “ask me about my zombie costume” or “ask me about my pet trex” then when flipped inside out they have a zombie or trex image on the inside? Google “flip shirt” and you will find them. I thought this was a super cute concept and took it a step further to create these Superhero Flip T-shirts for my superhero loving boys.
Superhero flip t-shirt tutorial:
And here is Isaiah and his favorite hero, Spiderman.
Here’s how to create your very own flip shirt…
1. Cut the words “ask me about my alter ego” out of freezer paper. I used my cricut cutting machine but you can totally do this by hand too, it would just take a bit longer.
2. Iron the freezer paper stencil to the front of the shirt. Be sure to press all of the edges down carefully.
3. Place a scrap piece of paper inside the shirt, underneath where you are painting so that the fabric paint doesn’t seep through to the back of the shirt.
4. Using fabric paint, color in the stencilled letters. Allow this to dry completely.
5. Turn the t-shirt inside out. Iron on a superhero freezer paper stencil. Be sure to have the top of the head point towards the hem of the t-shirt so that when the shirt is flipped the superhero face is right side up. I traced Ironman and Spiderman faces onto freezer paper and used them as a stencil. You can find templates for these characters here. Because the t-shirts that I was working with were white, I painted my superhero stencil with white fabric paint first so that the actual colors of our superheros wouldn’t show through to the front of the shirt.
6. Paint the character using fabric paints.
7. Add details using dimensional fabric paint if desired.
This post contains affiliate links.
Crafting essentials for sewing projects:
- We love using this flat bottom dry iron for perfect seams.
- This sewing kit has everything we could possibly need!
- These scraps of cotton fabric are ideal for most sewing crafts.
- This rolling storage cart helps to keep our sewing supplies organized.
Stay tuned for more boy t-shirt goodness!
If you loved this superhero flip t-shirt tutorial, please help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!