These easy campfire banana boats are a classic camping staple in our family. The kids love to make them on all of our trips!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
We’ve started to book camping for the summer which has be thinking about all of the yummy camping food that we love! These banana boats are one of those recipes that was passed down to me from when I was camping as a kid with my parents.
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camp cooking essentials:
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors.
- We love these BBQ Cooking Gloves because they make handling campfire food a whole lot safer!
How to make Campfire Banana Boats:
- Chocolate chips
1. Cut your banana lengthwise to create a ‘boat’ shape.
2. Fill with chocolate chips. Tip: you could use pieces of your favorite chocolate bar! Oh My Gosh… Reeses Pieces would be amazing! Gotta try that!
How to make a tinfoil packet:
- Cut two pieces of aluminum foil large enough to cover the entire meal (about 12″). Layer them one on top of the other. Optional: spray the interior with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place recipe ingredients in the center. Bring up the longer edges of the foil and fold together. Grasp one end and roll it up, repeat with the other end.
- Alternatively foil pie plates may be used to cook foil packet meals. Simply place the recipe ingredients into the pie plate and cover with aluminum foil before cooking.
- For best results cook the foil packet on a grill over the open fire.
- Use caution when handling the foil packet as it can become hot while cooking.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size freezer bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this easy campfire banana boat recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
- Chocolate chips
1. Cut your banana lengthwise to create a 'boat' shape.
2. Fill with chocolate chips. Tip: you could use pieces of your favorite chocolate bar! Oh My Gosh... Reeses Pieces would be amazing! Gotta try that!
3. Stuff with marshmallows.
4. Wrap in tinfoil, throw in the fire and allow to melt and bubble for 10 mins.