Create a simply darling pumpkin craft with mason jar lids and a printable template. Perfect for fall decor and easy for all ages.
Transform metal canning jar rings from the kitchen section of your favorite dollar store into a fun and fat pumpkin with today’s easy craft. I love the simple style! It is perfect for your Fall home decor or Autumn tiered tray.
Too busy to make this right away? Pin it for later! Pin this post to your favorite board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready!
Make your own pumpkins using simple materials and a little bit of time. The best part about this fun fall craft is that these pumpkins never rot, so they can be used for the entire season, year after year!
This simple project can be made by kids of all ages too. Use this tutorial for making Fall and harvest-themed decor, Thanksgiving crafts, or the perfect Halloween craft.
Young children can practice their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination while stringing the rings onto the jute and cutting out leaves. Older children can cut and glue. Make it a family activity and get everyone involved.
- Metal Canning Jar Rings – Dollar Store
- Spray Paint – Orange
- Natural Jute Twine – Dollar Store
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks – Dollar Store
- Wood Stems – Dollar Store
- Craft Felt – Green
- CANNING RING PUMPKIN LEAF PATTERN
1. Gather all supplies. In a well-ventilated area (or outside), coat the metal canning jar rings with orange spray paint. Use several light layers, instead of one heavy layer of paint. Set aside to dry. You will need 16 rings to complete each pumpkin.
2. Once the rings are dry, measure and cut a 24” length of natural jute twine. String on the 16 canning jar rings, making sure they are all facing in the same direction.
3. Gather both ends of the twine and tie tightly around the center of the rings, pulling the rings into a circle shape. Secure the twine with a double knot. Trim the long ends of the twine with scissors.
4. Position the rings until you are pleased with their pumpkin shape.
5. Attach a large wooden stem to the top of the pumpkin with a glue gun and glue sticks. Hold in place until glue cools completely.
NOTE: You can use liquid craft glue for this project, but you will have to wait for it to dry.
6. Download, print, and cut out the free printable template for the CANNING RING PUMPKIN LEAF PATTERN. Trace the leaf pattern twice onto green craft felt, and then cut out with scissors. You could also use patterned card stock, craft foam, or fabric for the leaves.
7. Attach the leaves to the right and left hand side of the pumpkin stem with a glue gun and glue stick.
8. Measure and cut four lengths of natural jute twine that are 12” long each. Tie the twine into a bow. To finish, attach the twine bow to the wooden stem with a glue gun and glue sticks.
Tips and Tricks:
- This easy pumpkin craft can be made using different sizes of jar rings. Try making some with wide mouth rings and some with standard rings to give variation to your pumpkin display.
- For the Halloween season, make jack-o-lantern faces with black construction paper to add to your pumpkins.
- Add different elements to decorate the pumpkin, like including ribbon, buttons, or yarn.
- Make a pumpkin tower. Start with a large pumpkin on the bottom, then medium, and top it with a small pumpkin.
- Your favorite thrift store is a great place to find inexpensive items to repurpose for all kinds of fun crafts.
- Shopping at your local dollar store is a great way to save money on seasonal decorations, serving platters, and fun activity and craft supplies. Even better, shop clearance sales at the end of the season and stock up for next year.
While this DIY makes a traditional orange pumpkin, change things up by creating a variety of colors of canning jar ring pumpkins. Your family and friends will never know how quick and easy this trendy Autumn decor was to create!
For more pumpkin-themed crafts that are perfect for the season, check out this mason jar pumpkin**, this easy paper pumpkin craft that uses orange paper strips, or create a beautiful watercolor with this free pumpkin template.
If you love this pumpkin craft, please give it a five-star review and share it on facebook and pinterest for others to enjoy.