Learn how to make this cute clay plant pot using air dry clay! No oven or kiln is needed, isn’t that awesome?!
I have been busy redecorating after taking down all of our holiday decor this month. The house looks so empty without it! So I decided to fill our space with life and PLANTS! Lots and lots of house plants. They add such a great pop of color and texture to a space! Be sure to read my tips for decorating with house plants.
To that end I needed to make a few more plant pots for all of my new house plants. So I picked up some air dry clay from the dollar store and got to work!
How to make a clay plant pot:
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
This post contains affiliate links.
You will need:
- Start by rolling the clay flat to about 1/4″ thickness, in a circular shape. How much clay to use depends on how big you want to make your pot. I used about a tennis ball size of clay.
- Fold and pinch the clay upwards to form a pot shape. Smooth out any wrinkles with your fingers. This can take some practise, have fun with it!
3. Use the sculpting tool to gently press dimples into the clay. This helps to build texture and hide imperfections. It’s helpful to have one hand inside of the pot, supporting it, while doing this.
4. Stuff crumpled up paper inside of the pot to help support the form and shape that you have created.
5. Allow the plant pot to air dry for 24 hours or until completely hardened.
Let the clay plant pot air dry overnight.
6. Finally, paint the pot white using acrylic paint.
Didn’t our pot turn out darling?! I absolutely love all of the little imperfections and texture. This is the perfect project if you are looking for a unique plant pot or cannot find one in the right size for your house plant.
The succulent in this pot is actually a fake one that I purchased from Ikea so it does not need to be watered. Air Dry clay may seep if your plants are overwatered so be sure to place a little tray underneath if you plan on potting real plants in this.
Crafting essentials for easy crafts:
- We love using these Apple Barrel Acrylic Paints to add bright color to all of our projects.
- These paint brushes are ideal for most craft surfaces and a great price!
- This art supplies kit is our favorite because it has everything we needed to get started.
- This rolling storage cart helps to keep our craft supplies organized.
If you love this easy clay plant pot craft, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!