Enjoy this refreshingly crisp and flavorful apple fennel slaw recipe. With a perfect blend of sweet and savory, it’s the ideal side dish for any meal!
This apple fennel slaw combines the complex flavors of tart green apples, zesty lemon, fennel and cabbage in a way that is absolutely delicious.
Too busy to make this right away? Pin it for later! Pin this post to your favorite board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready!
We first were introduced to fennel apple slaw while vacationing in the Kootneys. The crunchy slaw was served in this little restaurant called, Ullr Bar, known for its amazing food!
I had it paired with deep fried chicken that was drizzled in hot honey mustard and the combination was to die for. I mean, I would definitely go back to the area just for the food!
When we got home from our trip we immediately started experimenting in the kitchen and trying to recreate that slaw. I think that we’ve really nailed down the flavours of the original!!
You’ll just have to trust us, or visit Ullr bar to decide for yourself. Martin says that the original may have had less apple cider vinegar… so, make this recipe tonight and let us know what YOU think!
This post contains affiliate links.
Let’s start with a few simple ingredients from the grocery store.
- Small green cabbage, sliced thinly
- Granny smith apples, julienned
- Fennel bulb, julienned
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime juice, juice from half a lime
1. Cut the vegetables.
2. In a large bowl combine vegetables, fresh herbs and seasonings.
3. Toss to mix.
4. Add oil, vinegar and lime juice.
5. Mix to combine.
- Any kind of tart apple works, pick your favorite apple.
- Red cabbage may be used instead of green.
- You can use celery seeds instead of coriander.
- Granulated sugar may be used instead of honey.
- Use your vegetable oil of choice.
Add thinly sliced red onion, brussels sprouts or celery.
Try using pomegranate seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Some people add fresh cilantro to the recipe as well.
- This is a great salad for making ahead because it is just as good the next day.
- The entire fennel bulb is used, including the fennel fronds.
- Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage before slicing.
- Be sure to slice the vegetables thinly, a mandoline may be helpful. The vegetables may also be sliced with a grater.
- Store leftover fennel apple salad in an airtight container in the fridge.
Try this easy recipe, it’s a great way to transform a classic coleslaw to become next level delicious. Add it to your next summer barbecue or winter meal.
If you love this apple fennel slaw recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook or Pinterest.
- 1/2 small green cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 granny smith apples, julienned
- 1 fennel bulb, julienned
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice, juice from half a lime
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander
- Cut the vegetables.
- In a large bowl combine vegetables, fresh herbs and seasonings.
- Toss to mix.
- Add oil, vinegar and lime juice.
- Mix to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
All values are approximate and based on ingredients used by the recipe writer. Always calculate your own individual nutritional values for the most accurate calculation.