This Cranberry Simple Syrup Recipe makes the most delicious syrup for the holiday season! Make this easy syrup recipe to add to your Christmas cocktails or Sunday morning french toast.
Cranberries are so iconic of Christmas time and are one of my favorite flavours to add to our dishes during the holidays. This cranberry syrup is a must make this time of year!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite cocktail board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
With holiday parties just around the corner, I wanted to be sure that we were stocked up on everything that we would need for holiday cocktails! That’s where this simple syrup comes in, I like to make a batch and have it on hand all season long.
You only need two ingredients from the grocery store to make this homemade cranberry syrup. Frozen or fresh cranberries and a cup of sugar!
What is simple syrup?
Simple syrup is a liquid sweetener that is made by dissolving sugar into water. It’s most often used in alcoholic drinks and cocktails but can also be poured over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.
The syrup can be infused with a variety of fruit or herb flavours simply by adding that ingredient to the pot and using a fine mesh sieve to strain it after cooking. Creating a delicious cranberry syrup could not be easier!
This cranberry recipe is actually a classic, family favorite that was handed down by my grandma. My mom gifted me with a box of old recipes that were written out on index cards by my grandmother.
I’ve been going through all of the recipes and trying to make them one by one. It’s sure to take a while but will totally be worth it, hand me down recipes are often the best!
More holiday drink recipes:
- Hot Toddy Whiskey Recipe
- Cranberry Christmas Cocktail
- Candy Cane Swirl Cocktail
- Christmas Moscow Mule
- Pomegranate Mojito
- Christmas Red Sangria
- Vodka Cranberry Recipe
- Pomegranate Mimosa
- Christmas White Sangria
How to use simple syrup:
- Add an ounce or two to your favorite Christmas cocktail.
- Pour is over a breakfast of pancakes or cinnamon rolls.
- Add the flavored syrup to club soda, moscow mules or vodka sodas.
- Use it to sweeten and add flavour to tea or coffee.
- Add delicious cranberry flavor over vanilla ice cream.
- Use to add extra sweetness to Thanksgiving recipes or your favorite cocktails.
Variations for simple syrup:
- Experiment with different flavours! Try using strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
- Add Vodka to the mix to create a cranberry liqueur!
- Easily make this recipe sugar-free by simply substituting granulated monk fruit or stevia for sugar.
- Pomegranate seeds could be used instead of cranberries to create a pomegranate syrup.
- Add orange juice, orange zest or even orange liqueur!
- Use brown sugar or pure maple syrup instead of granulated sugar for a rich flavour.
- Experiment with lemon juice, lemon zest or a cinnamon stick added to the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Some of my kitchen essentials for cocktails:
- I love using these mixing pitchers for all of my drinks.
- These silicone spatulas are perfect for mixing and stirring cocktails.
- This Henckel Knife is my favorite for slicing and dicing in the kitchen.
- This cocktail muddler is perfect for muddling the lime and mint in mojitos.
Cranberry simple syrup recipe:
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
1. Add cranberries and a cup of water to a medium saucepan.
2. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add sugar and cook on low for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from the heat and strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, straining out the cranberry skin and seeds.
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
When the sauce cools, pour it into a mason jar for storing. This cranberry simple syrup can be kept at room temperature for weeks or stored up to three months in the fridge.
More cranberry recipes:
- Try our homemade cranberry sauce recipe.
- We also love this cranberry salsa recipe.
- Leftover cranberry sauce is great on these turkey sliders!
If you love this cranberry simple syrup recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest so that others can enjoy it too!
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- Add cranberries and water to a medium sauce pan.
- Stir and cook over medium high heat for ten minutes.
- Add sugar and cook on low for an additional ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove mixture from the heat and pour through a fine sieve, straining out the cranberry skin and seeds.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 0g
All values are approximate and based on ingredients used by the recipe writer. Always calculate your own individual nutritional values for the most accurate calculation.