This pie iron ham and cheese recipe is a yummy addition to our camping meal planning. The kids love cooking them over the campfire.
Hello friends, today I am sharing these Pie Iron Ham & Cheese Crescents with you. My kids love comfort food when we are camping in the great outdoors. Grilled cheese is usually a staple at home so why not bring this family favorite along for the ride? With a few simple ingredients we can create a quick, easy Pie Iron Ham & Cheese Crescents that the kids love!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop where you can now find personalized camping gear!
I love taking as much of the work as possible out of meal prep while camping. To that end I often purchase pre sliced cheese and meat as well as bread in a can LOL. Pizza dough, biscuits and these crescent rolls are a fun change from the traditional loaf of bread. But two slices of bread would totally work for this recipe as well! So if you are a traditionalist… go for it! *wink*
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camp cooking essentials:
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt.
- We love these BBQ Cooking Gloves because they make handling campfire food a whole lot safer!
I love Pie Irons for cooking while camping. We also call them camp cookers. It is essentially a cast iron sandwich maker that you can heat over the open fire. We use it year round and it works like a charm over the propane fire as well (whenever there is a fire ban in place). You can purchase a Pie Iron straight from Amazon or find them at Canadian Tire or other outdoor specialty stores.
For this simple camping recipe you will need:
- Sliced ham
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Pillsbury crescent rolls (or a loaf of bread)
- Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
How to make pie iron ham & cheese crescents:
1. Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
2. Layer 1 crescent, 1 slice of cheese, 1 piece of ham, 1 slice of cheese and 1 cresent.
3. Close and latch the pie iron.
4. Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
5. Cook for approximately 5 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
Tip: with crescent dough it is best to cook slowly over low heat to bake the dough adequately.
How to cook with a camp cooker:
- When cooking with a camp cooker, begin by applying non stick cooking spray or oil to the inside of both cooking plates. This step is important so that your delicious meal doesn’t stick to the plates and burn.
- Place your recipe ingredients into the cooker before closing and latching it.
- Cook the recipe over an open fire. We recommend placing the cooker over the fire for two minutes before unlatching, checking for doneness and flipping the cooker over to cook the other side.
- Use caution when handling both the metal latch and handles as they can become hot while cooking.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size freezer bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
Mmmm I can almost taste the melty cheese and ham hidden within each crescent pocket! Yum, yum!
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this pie iron ham and cheese recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!