Would you believe me if I told you that this garbage can turkey recipe makes for one of the best turkeys that I have ever tasted?!
When I first witnessed a turkey being cooked in a garbage can it blew my mind. I couldn’t fathom how that was even possible!
Since then we have made numerous turkeys this way and it has quickly become my preferred way of cooking the most moist and delicious turkey I have ever had. Let me show you how…
No seriously, this turkey was cooked in a garbage can in 1.5 hours you guys! It’s super easy to set up and makes the tastiest trash can turkey.
We also have an amazing Smoked Turkey recipe that is to die for. Full of rich, smokey flavour, it’s another one that you should add to the must try list!
Too busy to make this right away? Pin this post for later! Pin this turkey recipe to your favorite board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready.
This post contains affiliate links.
18″ x 2″ stake
15 lb turkey, prepared
If this is your first time making trash can turkey, be sure to burn the galvanized coating off of your garbage can before cooking. This is done by heating the can to a very high temperature – we did this over a camp fire, using a torch or smoker would work too.
Alternatively you can use an extra large stainless steel stock pot to cook the bird as well (cooking times will vary for this method).
How to cook delicious garbage can turkey:
1: Prepare the turkey for cooking. We found that the absolute best turkey was brined the day before cooking using this amazing turkey brine recipe.
After removing from the brine we then coated it in melted butter and our favorite Mango Chipotle Seasoning. Fasten the wings to the bird with twine and tuck the legs in or fasten together with twine.
2: Prepare the cooking area. You will need to make a stake that sticks out of the ground by 14″. When we make this recipe while camping we simply use a branch and bury it at least 4″ in the ground so that it’s sturdy enough to hold a 15 lb turkey.
At home we’ve created a stake using an old ground tamper that we cut to 14″. The weighted end of the tamper is enough to hold up the turkey.
A little bit of preparation…
3: Wrap the stake in tinfoil, creating a ball of foil at the top to support the turkey. Layer about 2 ft of tinfoil on the ground around the stake.
4: Place the bird on the stake.
5: Cover the turkey with the garbage can, making sure that it is centered and not touching the can.
6: Pour 1/3 of the bag of briquettes into the garbage can lid and light them. Tip: Be sure to use oven mitts when handling the hot lid and garbage can.
7: Pour lit briquettes around the base of the can.
8: Scatter the remaining briquettes around the base of the can on top of the already lit ones.
9: Set your timer for 1.5 hours and allow the garbage can to work its magic! Cook for 1 hour 45 mins for an 18-20 lb turkey.
10: Using oven mitts, lift the can to reveal the delicious turkey underneath.
Doesn’t this turkey just look amazing you guys?! Trust me, it tastes even better!
This garbage can turkey recipe is perfect for using while camping when you don’t have access to an oven or at home when you don’t want to heat up the entire house with the oven or just when you want to make, seriously, the best tasting turkey ever!
We also love, love, love this easy Beer Can Chicken recipe, it makes the tastiest bird that we have ever had. If you want to make a smaller dish, try this one and let us know how you like it!
My friend Michelle cooks her turkey in an air fryer!! Have you ever tried it?! Be sure to check out her Air Fryer Turkey for all of the details!
More of our holiday favorites:
- Do you have leftover turkey? Make these turkey and cranberry sliders – this easy recipe makes the most delicious turkey sliders that you’ve ever had!
- Looking for a low carb alternative to your standard stuffing? Try this delicious keto friendly stove top stuffing recipe!
- My mom always makes the best side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner! Try her classic yams recipe this year.
- This cranberry salsa recipe is a family favorite and makes the perfect appetizer!
If you love this garbage can turkey recipe please help me share it on Facebook or Pinterest so that others can enjoy it too!
- 15 pound turkey
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp mango chipotle seasoning
- 2 cups apple cider
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp peppercorns
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- Place fresh, not frozen, turkey into a brine bag or a large roasting pan.
- Cover the turkey entirely with the brine mixture and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Drain and pat the turkey dry with paper towel.
- Rub the entire turkey with butter and coat with chipotle seasoning.
- Wrap the wings to the body with twine and fasten the legs together.
- Place the turkey on a 14" stake in the ground that has been covered by tinfoil.
- Cook for 1.5 hours under the garbage can, surrounded by lit briquettes.