I have a tasty camp cooker fajita recipe for you today! Pretty much anything cooked in a camp cooker is delicious in my opinion. This Camp Cooker Fajita Recipe is no different. It combines the simplicity of making a tortilla pocket with the tasty flavours of steak, bell peppers and melty cheese.
I like to use leftovers from this amazing Tinfoil Packet Fajita recipe to fill these pockets but today I have given you the directions to make this camping meal from start to finish. With a little bit of meal planning you can make this recipe even quicker to create with leftovers from the previous day.
Over the years I have experimented and tried out pretty much every camping tool known to woman. I love to cook and make mouth watering food while we are camping in the wilderness. Here are some of my favorite products to use while camping (affiliate links).
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!)
Ingredients that you will need:
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into strips
- Orange bell pepper, sliced
- Yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 10″ tortillas
- 1 cup tex mex cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
How to make this camp cooker fajita recipe:
- Prepare the first seven ingredients and combine in a tinfoil packet. Cook over the fire or on the BBQ for 30 minutes.
2. Spray the inside of the camp cooker with non-stick spray or wipe down with butter. Lay a tortilla to one side of the iron.
3. Fill with fajita mixture and top with cheese.
4. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the toppings to create a pocket before closing the iron.
5. Cook over the fire for 5-10 minutes, flipping the camp cooker when necessary. Serve with sour cream and salsa (optional).
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
Look at the cheese just oozing out of this tortilla pocket! So yummy! I love using tortillas in this recipe instead of bread because they let the flavours of the filling really stand out.