These DIY polymer clay mushrooms are fun to create and make the cutest little plant accessories that you have ever seen! Follow the easy step by step photo tutorial…
How cute are these clay mushrooms?! Too busy to make them right away? Pin this post for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready.
This post contains affiliate links.
Supplies that you will need:
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- polymer clay in tan, blue, white and black
- clay cutting and shaping tools
- black sharpie fine tip marker
- white glue
- white paint
- mod podge
- paint brush
How to make these polymer clay mushrooms:
- Begin by forming the clay into soft, malleable balls.
2. Roll the tan clay into 3 cm balls.
3. Form the balls into long cylindrical shapes that are tapered at the top.
4. Curve the stems if desired. Create a hole in the base using a toothpick.
5. Roll the blue clay into balls that are about 4cm thick. Roll many tiny white balls that are about 1/2 cm in diameter.
6. Press and roll the blue balls into a flat circular shape.
7. Press the tiny white balls into the mushroom caps.
8. Use the end of a stylus to press the blue circle into a mushroom cap shape.
9. Roll tiny black balls of clay for eyes.
10. Bake the clay as directed on the package. For me this was 20 minutes at 220 degrees.
11. When the clay has cooled, glue the black balls to the stems for eyes.
12. Add mouths to the stems using a black sharpie marker.
13. Paint white dots onto the back eyes. Tip: I use a toothpick dipped in paint to get the tiny white dots.
14. Seal the clay with mod podge.
15. Insert a toothpick into the base to create a plant pick.
16. Balance the mushroom cap on the stem and place it in your favortie plant pot as a fun accent. Tip: you may also glue the cap to the stem if desired.
These clay mushrooms are seriously so adorable. They are way easier to create than they look and you can’t kill them like a real plant, so it’s a win/win!
My essentials for clay crafts:
- We love using this Sculpey Polymer Oven Bake Clay for all of our projects.
- This clay shaping tool kit is a must have for clay crafting!
- These paint brushes are ideal for most craft surfaces and a great price!
- This rolling storage cart helps to keep our craft supplies organized.
These clay mushrooms were actually inspired by ones that my grandma (who is 95) made for me out of oven fired clay. She is a talented potter and one of the most creative people that I know!
Grandma’s clay mushrooms are glazed and grace my outdoor planters. These little polymer clay ones are better suited for inside use.
I love that this would be a really easy and fun nature craft to make with the kids! The combination of colors and shapes could be endless and it would be neat to see what they come up with.
If you love this DIY clay mushroom craft, please help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!