These Polymer Clay Wood Slice Snowflake Ornaments are absolutely darling. Let me show you how to make these polymer clay ornaments in a matter of minutes!
Create your own ornaments for the Christmas tree this year. These polymer clay christmas ornaments are fun to make during the Christmas season with the kids!
This year I decided to host the Twelve Days of Christmas Crafts on Instagram and we had so much fun!! We’ve made a ton of crafts to go along with my DIY Tree Collar and Holiday Ribbon Picks! Be sure to check out the Sweater Ornament tutorial, Clay Farmhouse Ornaments or Yarn & Wood Snowflake Ornaments too!
How to make these polymer clay snowflake ornaments:
Too busy to make these snowflakes right away?! Pin them for later! Pin this project to your favorite craft board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
This post contains affiliate links.
Get the supplies:
- White polymer clay
- 2″ rustic wood rounds
- Acrylic paint or stain (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Bakers twine
- Cookie sheet & oven
- Roll a pea sized ball of white clay into a 1.5″ length. Repeat three times. Roll twelve small pieces into tiny balls and shape into 1/4″ lengths.
2. Overlap the longer white pieces of clay in the center of each length, creating a cross shape. Then place the twelve smaller pieces at the end of each branch, creating a snowflake. Tip: be sure to press down firmly so that the clay adheres to itself.
3. Place the snowflakes on a baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper and bake in the oven at 275 degrees for 15 minutes per 1/4″ of thickness of clay.
4. Paint or stain the wooden rounds if desired. Drill a small hole at the top of each one. We liked both the natural and stained look!
5. Use a hot glue gun to affix the snowflakes to the wood rounds. Finally, tie with a length of bakers twine for hanging.
The sky is the limit when it comes to creating clay snowflakes, I can see the kids having a blast coming up with all kinds of ideas. We liked framing the snowflakes with the wood slices but this is totally optional too.
We found that the wood gave this ornament a more sturdy base and bit of contrasting texture. This fun project would make lovely gift tags or an addition to holiday home decor.
More of my crafting essentials for holiday crafts:
- We love using these Apple Barrel Acrylic Paints to add bright color to all of our projects.
- These paint brushes are ideal for most craft surfaces and a great price!
- This art supplies kit is our favorite because it has everything we needed to get started.
- This rolling storage cart helps to keep our craft supplies organized.
If you love this clay snowflake ornament craft, please help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest! Check out some of our other snowman crafts and handmade ornaments: