I can’t wait to share these Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Cookies with you today. Oh my goodness you guys!!! These cookies are SO GOOD!
They combine two of my favorite flavours, peppermint and chocolate. And the best part is that they are very quick and easy to make!
I have a lot of recipes that involve chocolate and peppermint. These Candy Cane Brownie Blossoms or Candy Cane Brownies for example. But this Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Cookie recipe has quickly become my favorite because it is truly a quick process to create these cookies! Just mix, drop, bake and dip.
Tips for Holiday Baking:
- Double or triple recipes to make large batches of goodies. This allows cookies and bars to be made in an assembly line fashion and speeds up the process.
- Pick holiday recipes that compliment each other and look good plated together. For example every year I like to make Candy Cane Brownies, Eggnog Cookies, Cranberry and Pistachio Shortbread and Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Cookies for a good variety.
- Participate in a Holiday Baking Exchange! This is a great way to prepare for a season of holiday entertaining.
- Start baking early and store goodies in the freezer until they are needed. I use these large Rubbermaid food storage containers (aff link) to save a mixture of cookies and bars in my freezer so that I have them ready to go for Christmas parties and gatherings all season long.
It’s nice to have a treat to serve guests that looks this festive!!! These cookies have appeared for several years in our annual baking exchanges – thanks to Jen for the original recipe and Deanna who made a few modifications. I will be putting these lovelies on my “must bake list” every Christmas. I simply love a cookie that doesn’t require rolling or cutting or decorating with icing. Are you with me??
These cookies are super easy to make in that you simply mix the dough and drop by spoonfuls onto your baking sheet. Once the cookies have been baked and cooled you then dip them into melted Wilton peppermint candy melts for a festive look. In recent years these Wilton melts have been hard to find (I mean, they are not even on Amazon anymore!) so I have started to make my own peppermint white chocolate to dip the cookies into.
How to make Candy Cane white chocolate:
- 12 oz bag Wilton white candy melts
- 10 oz crushed peppermint candy cane bits (only 4 Tbsp is needed per bag of Wilton chocolate)
In a food processor crush the candy cane bits even more until the mixture resembles coffee grounds. You still want to have bits of candy cane pieces but more finely crushed than how they come in the package. Mix approximately 4 tablespoons of this crushed candy cane with 1 bag of Wilton white melting chocolate to create your own peppermint chocolate mixture for dipping.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 2/3 cups cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 12oz bag Wilton Peppermint Candy Melts (or white chocolate candy cane mixture)
- In a large bowl beat butter, eggs, sugar and extracts until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, melt peppermint candy melts in a small microwave safe dish.
- Dip cookies partially in chocolate and place on parchment paper to set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g