This pie iron tomato & cheese croissant is absolutely delicious. I’m excited for today’s camping recipe! I feel like it is a “grown up” version of most pie iron recipes. Something for the more sophisticated pallet?! LOL I love the combo of roasted chicken, goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes! This Pie Iron Sun Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Croissant is just as easy as any other to pack and prepare…
Be sure purchase your ingredients for easy packing, storing and prepping. I often buy pre-sliced cheese, meats and small packages of sun dried tomatoes. You can totally substitute bread or your wrap of choice instead of the crescent rolls from a can!I love Pie Irons for cooking while camping. We also call them camp cookers. It is essentially a cast iron sandwich maker that you can heat over the open fire. We use it year round and it works like a charm over the propane fire as well (whenever there is a fire ban in place). You can purchase a Pie Iron straight from Amazon (aff link) or find them at Canadian Tire or other outdoor specialty stores.
For this simple camping recipe you will need…
Sliced roasted chicken breast
Sun dried tomatoes
Pillsbury crescent rolls
Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
How to make this pie iron croissant:
Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
Layer 1 crescent, chicken, goat cheese, tomatoes and 1 crescent.
Close and latch the pie iron.
Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
Cook for approximately 5 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
Doesn’t this look absolutely delicious?!?! It is! I promise.
Be sure to check out my how to use a pie iron post for tips and tricks on using this handy camping tool!
This Pie Iron Sun Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Croissant is definitely being added to my next camping trip meal plan!
More tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
- Sliced roasted chicken breast
- Goat cheese
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Pillsbury crescent rolls
- Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
- Layer 1 crescent, chicken, goat cheese, tomatoes and 1 crescent.
- Close and latch the pie iron.
- Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
- Cook for approximately 5 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.