Tips for Holiday Baking:
- Double or triple recipes to make large batches of goodies. This allows cookies and bars to be made in an assembly line fashion and speeds up the process.
- Pick holiday recipes that compliment each other and look good plated together. For example every year I like to make Candy Cane Brownies, Eggnog Cookies, Cranberry and Pistachio Shortbread and Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Cookies for a good variety.
- Participate in a Holiday Baking Exchange! This is a great way to prepare for a season of holiday entertaining.
- Start baking early and store goodies in the freezer until they are needed. I use these large Rubbermaid food storage containers (aff link) to save a mixture of cookies and bars in my freezer so that I have them ready to go for Christmas parties and gatherings all season long.
When making these shortbread cookies be sure to allow them to chill for at least two hours in the fridge. This allows for the dough to harden and the ingredients to set within the shortbread roll. If the cookies begin to crumble when you try to cut them then you know that you need to allow the dough to set longer. The combination of cranberry, pistachio and white chocolate makes for a lovely presentation and colour when these cookies are on display.
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup chopped cranberries
- Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixer.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Roll into a log about 2.5" thick.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and slice into 1/4" rounds.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake in a preheated oven @ 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g