Making a DIY Ladder Golf Game is simple with these step-by-step instructions. Today I am sharing this uber easy tutorial for creating your own perfect ladder ball set.
One of our all-time favorite summer games is Ladder Golf, we call it Ladder Ball. So when our cheap, plastic store bought set made of pvc pipe fell apart, we decided to make one of our own.
Too busy to make this right away? Pin it for later! Pin this post to your favorite board on Pinterest and it will be there when you’re ready!
How to make this DIY ladder golf game:
We made these to be easily taken apart as Ladder Ball is a popular game to play whenever we go camping. So we had to make sure that these were easy to transport and store in the trailer.
It comes apart into eight pieces with six dowels, that can be laid flat and packed up.
We used the balls from our old ladder ball game set that had fallen apart so did not need to make new ones.
You could use real golf balls or tennis balls, with holes drilled through the center and rope to tie two of the balls together. You need at least 6 balls (tied into 3 sets) for each player. Use different colors for each player.
- 8 bolts 4″x1/16″
- 8 wing nuts
- 4 2x4s cut 48″ – these are the upright supports
- 8 washers
- 4 2x4s cut 36″ – these are the base supports
- 6 1″ dowels cut 36″ – these make the ladder rungs
- 4 pieces of 1″ plywood approximately 16″x12″
- 12 2″ screws
1: Measure and mark all of the 2x4s and cut them to length.
2: Measure and cut the dowels to length.
3: Drill and countersink holes on each of the upright supports.
3 – 1″ holes measured 1 1/2″ from the top, 13 1/2″ from the top and 25 1/2″ from the top. Drilled 1″ into the 2×4.
2 – 1/16″ holes measured 2″ from the bottom and 12″ from the bottom, countersunk. Drilled all the way through the 2×4.
4: Cut out triangular supports. Drill three holes at the base of each triangular support.
5: Screw the triangular supports to the edge of the base supports at the center of each.
6: Fasten the upright supports to the base supports using the bolts, washers and wing nuts. Finally insert the dowels into each wooden ladder creating two ladders with which to play Ladder Golf.
They turned out to be super sturdy and durable! We have since painted the upright supports with black chalkboard paint to provide a place to easily keep score with a piece of chalk.
You could also mark points on the side of the upright and use an elastic band or piece of nylon rope to keep track.
I sealed the wooden rungs of the ladder with a clear varathane to provide extra durability. Total bonus that they come apart for easy storage!
How to play ladder golf:
- The object of the game is to be the first player to reach 21 points.
- The top rung is 3 points, the middle rung is 2 points and the bottom rung is 1 point.
- Players toss the golf ball bolas at the steps of the game ladder and hope that they stick.
- Decide who goes first with a coin toss and have a great game!
- Set a throw line and alternate family members on the next round.
- We often make up our own ladder golf rules, make the rungs a different point a total and have it so players have to reach the exact point total to win.
- In case of a tie the next player has to get a bola on the top step.
This ladder toss is one of our favorite backyard games. It is the perfect lawn game for parties and family reunions!
Other outdoor projects:
- 20+ Bee Friendly Ideas for the Garden
- DIY Driftwood Wind Chime
- 20+ Nature Craft Ideas
- Take our Backyard Tour