Hello friends! Wait until you see what I am sharing with you today. These Salted Caramel Turtle Cookies are absolutely amazing! I recently hosted a baking exchange where my friend Tamara shared a salted caramel turtle cookie recipe that is quickly becoming a favortie around here.
These cookies are so good you guys!! Salt, chocolate and caramel are three of my most favorite things. Mixed together they create the most delicious cookie! These Salted Caramel Turtle Cookies were a new addition to this years Holiday Baking Exchange. When I first tried one of these cookies I fell so in love that I didn’t want to share the rest of them because they are just that good. So here is the recipe to share or… not. Hee hee.
Tips for Holiday Baking:
- Double or triple recipes to make large batches of goodies. This allows cookies and bars to be made in an assembly line fashion and speeds up the process.
- Pick holiday recipes that compliment each other and look good plated together. For example every year I like to make Candy Cane Brownies, Eggnog Cookies, Cranberry and Pistachio Shortbread and Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Cookies for a good variety.
- Participate in a Holiday Baking Exchange! This is a great way to prepare for a season of holiday entertaining.
- Start baking early and store goodies in the freezer until they are needed. I use these large Rubbermaid food storage containers (aff link) to save a mixture of cookies and bars in my freezer so that I have them ready to go for Christmas parties and gatherings all season long.
There are a lot of steps to creating these salted caramel cookies but trust me when I tell you that its totally worth it! Be sure to allow the caramel and chocolate to completely harden and dry before trying to store or stack these cookies otherwise they will stick together. They look absolutely amazing when plated with my other holiday baking. The combination of chocolate and caramel makes these cookies delicious because it pairs so well together.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg (separated)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 15 Kraft caramels
- 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- 3 oz milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together first three ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Shape dough into 1" balls, dredge balls in egg white, roll in chopped pecans and place on baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Use thumb to create an indentation in the centre of each cookie.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Do not over bake, cookies will seem soft still.
- Re-press indentations if needed and allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
- Add caramels and heavy cream to microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring until caramel softens and cream is incorporated.
- Use a teaspoon to fill indentations with caramel.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Melt chocolate in microwave and drizzle over cookies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 659mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g