This Nightmare Before Christmas tree is the perfect addition to your holiday decor! We created a few unique do-it-yourself Jack Skellington ornaments to make this epic Christmas movie themed tree really stand out this holiday season.
This post contains affiliate links.
How awesome is this Nightmare Before Christmas tree you guys?! Last year I decided to purchase a pencil Christmas tree so that I could always have a fun themed tree set up in my home in addition to our hand crafted Christmas Tree.
Did you see the awesome Chewbacca themed tree that we created last year?! So good!
The Jack Skellington theme was born out of my love for everything Jack and the Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween film!
WHAT IS THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS?!
- This 1993 movie is perfect for the Christmas season or Halloween celebrations, many can’t decide which it suits best.
- Jack is the main character from The Nightmare Before Christmas, the pumpkin king of Halloween Town.
- He discovers Christmas Town and decides that he wants to become Santa Claus, complete with a real beating heart and Christmas tree.
- The Christmas jack skellington goes through a bunch of crazy shenanigans with the citizens of Halloween Town.
- Trick-or-treators return to Jack the Easter Bunny and Sandy Claws, while the movie ends with a final showdown with the Oogie Boogie man.
- Disney Tim Burton creator made this Halloween movie along with other iconic ones like James and the Giant Peach and Sleepy Hollow.
- Jack most often wore a bat bow-tie and real fabric tuxedo with white stripes in this classic movie.
How to create a Nightmare Before Christmas Tree:
- Gather all of the supplies that you will need.
Ribbon, ornament blanks and chalkboard signs were found at Michaels. Chevron paper, black ribbon, black floral wire, white paper lantern, black felt and paint are from Dollarama.
The Jack ornaments were found at Walmart. Be sure to scroll down for a complete supply list of similar items.
2. Attach floral wire to the black and white striped ribbon to make attaching it to the tree easier.
Make DIY Ribbon Picks:
3. Ribbon picks are easy to create with ribbon and floral wire. Check out my ribbon pick tutorial to learn how to make your own!
I used both striped ribbon and black ribbon to create decorative picks.
Picks add a wonderful pop of texture and interest to a Christmas tree!
4. Now create a variety of black and white themed ornaments like this Jack Skellington snap lid.
I made black and white chevron ornaments to add more pattern and interest to the tree. Here’s how:
Cut out the chevron paper in the shape of the ornament blank.
Decoupage the paper to the blank ornament and tie with a string to hang.
Making these chevron ornaments has really helped to tie the whole tree together.
I had a few extra white wooden blank ornaments from Michaels so decided to make these cute DIY Jack Skellington ornaments too.
5. Next make a custom tree topper using a white paper lantern and black felt.
Cut out jack skellington face features from black felt.
Glue the felt to the lantern using a hot glue gun.
Use black floral wire to attach the Jack Skellington tree topper to the top of the tree.
Basic Nightmare Before Christmas Tree supply list:
- Black & White wired ribbon
- Ribbon picks
- Wooden blank ornaments
- Acrylic paint
- Jack Skellington ornaments
6. Gather all of the ribbon and ornaments and decorate the tree. I like to start with the ribbon, then the picks, then larger ornaments before finally hanging the rest of the ornaments.
And now for a ton of photos of just how epic this tree turned out because, its not every day that you see a Nightmare Before Christmas tree! It’s perfect for the Nightmare Before Christmas fan.
This Jack Skellington ornament from Walmart was the perfect finishing touch! It’s quickly become one of my most beloved character ornaments.
- Try using a black tree instead of a traditional one.
- Buy character figurines at the thrift store to use as ornaments.
- Use black and white Christmas ornaments.
- Add black branches for a slight variation.
- Find halloween town buildings to place in the tree.
- Change the bulbs to soft purple lights.
- Add a cemetery hill moon tree topper instead of this DIY one.
- Black, white and red make great colors!
- Use halloween decorations like pumpkins.
- Find a small tree to use instead of a large one.
- Paint a skellington into a jolly orange jack.
- Add a Santa hat to create a santa jack.
- Look for more ornaments in the disney store or at hot topic.
- Create a dark of the moon holiday tree for a dark holiday celebration!
Don’t be surprised if you see a few white and black glass ornaments hanging from this Halloween tree as well.
Our crafting essentials:
- We love using these Apple Barrel Acrylic Paints to add bright color to all of our projects.
- These paint brushes are ideal for most craft surfaces and a great price!
- This art supplies kit is our favorite because it has everything we needed to get started.
- This rolling storage cart helps to keep our craft supplies organized.
If you love this Nightmare Before Christmas tree as much as we do please help us share it on Facebook and Pinterest so that others can enjoy it too!