One pan skillet meals are perfect for camping you guys! Do the slicing and dicing at home and you are left with a delicious, simple, quick meal to enjoy while in the woods.
It doesn’t get much easier than dumping your ingredients in a skillet and sauteing until cooked. I love, love, love the combination of delicious flavours in this Mushroom, Green Pepper & Sausage camping recipe!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop where you can now find personalized camping gear or download Our Favorite Camping Recipes eBook!
When camping my goal is always to spend as much time with friends and family as I possibly can. Creating delicious meals at home, leaving the prep work behind while on our trip, is my go-to way to enjoy as much of our holiday as I can.
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camp cooking essentials:
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors.
- We love these BBQ Cooking Gloves because they make handling campfire food a whole lot safer!
How to make this mushroom & green pepper skillet:
All you need to do is cut up green pepper, red onion, mushrooms and sausage.
Combine your ingredients in a freezer bag and store in the freezer until you are ready to use. Easy peasy right?!
Tips for making Camping Freezer Meals:
- Use 1 gallon, large freezer bags (aff link). Label bags with the date, recipe and cooking instructions
- Lay ingredients flat in the bag for easier storage in the freezer.
- Defrost meals in the refrigerator and place into tinfoil packet for cooking or dump onto a skillet.
- Store meals for up to three months in the freezer.
400g farmers sausage (I purchase Harvest Farmers Sausage from Costco and use two links)
1 large green bell pepper cut into strips
1/2 red onion cut into strips
200g of white button mushrooms cut into quarters
2 tsp seasoning (my favorite is Everyday Seasoning from Trader Joes)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Tips for cooking with cast iron:
- When cooking with cast iron, be sure to season the surface first.
- Always use gloves or oven mitts while cooking as the surface of the iron will be hot.
- Cook the recipe over an open fire using hot coals, not open flames. A fire that is too hot will burn the outside of your recipe and not cook the inside.
- Be sure to clean the cast iron with a rough vegetable scrubber, rinse and dry thoroughly before storing.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size freezer bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
I have added all sorts of different ingredients to this Harvest Sausage from Costco but honestly, this is my favorite so far!
I’ll be experimenting with a ton of flavour combinations all summer long so stay tuned for more one pot camping recipes. This mushroom & green pepper sausage skillet should definitely be added to your camping meal planning list!
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this easy sausage skillet recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
Mushroom & Green Pepper Sausage Skillet
- 400g farmers sausage
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1/2 red onion cut into strips
- 200g of white button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 tsp seasoning (my favorite is Everyday Seasoning from Trader Joes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Slice the sausage and cut up the vegetables.
- Combine ingredients into a large freezer safe plastic bag and freeze until needed.
- Defrost and cook on a skillet or in a tin foil packet.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 1684mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g