Lets talk about this Pie Iron Apple Turnover recipe shall we?! As the weather warms our thoughts turn to all things camping around here. We are avid campers and spent over 40 nights in the great outdoors last year. I love to create delicious, easy meals and treats while camping so be sure to stick around! From now until summer I will be posting a new camping recipe every week. And we have a ton of recipes on the blog already, just check out Camping Recipes for more ideas. But first, here’s this delish apple turnover recipe…
I love Pie Irons for cooking while camping. We also call them camp cookers. It is essentially a cast iron sandwich maker that you can heat over the open fire. We use it year round and it works like a charm over the propane fire as well (whenever there is a fire ban in place). You can purchase a Pie Iron straight from Amazon (aff link) or find them at Canadian Tire or other outdoor specialty stores.
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
While camping easy preparation and clean up is a priority for me.
All you need to pack for this Apple Pie Turnover is:
1 can Pillsbury country biscuits
A jar of apple pie filling (I used homemade apple pie filling)
1 bag marshmallows
Non-stick spray (optional)
How to make this pie iron apple turnover:
- Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
- Layer 1 biscuit, 1/4 cup apple pie filling, 1 marshmallow and 1 biscuit.
- Close and latch the pie iron.
- Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
- Cook for approximately 5 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
We love making these pie iron apple turnovers for breakfast or as a snack or for dessert while camping. Honestly, they are tasty anytime!
Be sure to check out my how to use a pie iron post for more tips & tricks to using this handy camping tool!