Tinfoil Packet Philly Cheesesteak? Yes please! When we are camping I always do my best to plan meals that are not only delicious but also easy to prepare and clean up. This Tinfoil Packet Philly Cheesesteak recipe is all of those things! It’s been developed from one of my most popular camping recipes, this Campfire Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich that has always been a family favorite.
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop where you can now find personalized camping gear!
You guys, I can already taste the yummy combination of bell pepper, juicy steak and melty provolone flavours. We like to pair this dish with a loaf of garlic bread but it’s also good the next day in these Camp Cooker Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches! This camping recipe is sure to become one of your summer staples.
Over the years I have experimented and tried out pretty much every camping tool known to woman. I love to cook and make delicious food while we are camping in the wilderness. Here are some of my favorite products to use while camping (affiliate links).
This post contains affiliate links.
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
Ingredients for this tinfoil packet recipe:
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into strips
- Red bell pepper, sliced
- Green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 100 grams provolone cheese, sliced
How to make tinfoil packet philly cheesesteak:
- Place steak into packet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Layer steak with onions and pepper.
3. Top with provolone cheese.
4. Wrap in the tinfoil packet and place over the fire for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Serve with garlic bread.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy.
Honestly, half of the time we eat this straight out of the tinfoil. This tinfoil packet philly cheesesteak recipe is just THAT GOOD!
Tips for making tinfoil packets:
- Cut two pieces of aluminum foil large enough to cover the entire meal (about 12″). Layer them one on top of the other. Optional: spray the interior with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place recipe ingredients in the center. Bring up the longer edges of the foil and fold together. Grasp one end and roll it up, repeat with the other end.
- Alternatively foil pie plates may be used to cook foil packet meals. Simply place the recipe ingredients into the pie plate and cover with aluminum foil before cooking.
- For best results cook the foil packet on a grill over the open fire.
- Use caution when handling the foil packet as it can become hot while cooking.
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this tinfoil packet philly cheesesteak recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
Yield: 5 servings
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g