This easy campfire apple pie recipe is the perfect dessert to pack for your next camping trip. I love that this dish only needs two easy to pack ingredients and cooking over the campfire (or barbecue grill) makes clean up a breeze!
Too busy to make this right away?! Pin it for later! Pin this recipe to your favorite camping board on Pinterest and it’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop where you can now find personalized camping gear or download Our Favorite Camping Recipes eBook!
We made this campfire apple pie on the barbecue last night and the boys said that it was their absolute favorite camping dessert so far!
This post contains affiliate links.
Our camp cooking essentials:
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration! Or visit my how to use a pie iron post for tips.
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors.
- We love these BBQ Cooking Gloves because they make handling campfire food a whole lot safer!
How to make a tinfoil packet:
- Cut two pieces of aluminum foil large enough to cover the entire meal (about 12″). Layer them one on top of the other. Optional: spray the interior with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place recipe ingredients in the center. Bring up the longer edges of the foil and fold together. Grasp one end and roll it up, repeat with the other end.
- Alternatively foil pie plates may be used to cook foil packet meals. Simply place the recipe ingredients into the pie plate and cover with aluminum foil before cooking.
- For best results cook the foil packet on a grill over the open fire.
- Use caution when handling the foil packet as it can become hot while cooking.
How to make campfire apple pie:
It honestly doesn’t get much easier than this!
1. Start by purchasing and packing the ingredients. You will need a can of apple pie filling and a container of biscuit dough. That’s it!
2. Open the pie filling and scoop it into an aluminum baking dish or pie tin. Optional: add a sprinkle of cinnamon at this step.
3. Open the container of biscuits and layer the dough on top of the pie filling.
4. Lastly cover the aluminum dish with tinfoil and bake over the campfire on low for 20-30 minutes. Tip: this dish can also be cooked on the barbecue on the lowest heat setting for 20-30 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on the temperature of your pie so that the bottom doesn’t burn.
Doesn’t this look so, so delicious?! Now just imagine serving it with vanilla ice cream if you were lucky enough to stow some away in the freezer of the camper! You could also try serving this campfire apple pie with fresh whipping cream. Yum!
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers. These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size freezer bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of our favorites.
- Use my blank printable meal plan or camping meal plans to help organize your next trip.
I would love for you to check out my new blog, Campfire Foodie, where I’m sharing ALL of the camping recipes!!
If you love this easy campfire apple pie recipe, please give it a five star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
Easy Campfire Apple Pie Recipe
This campfire apple pie recipe is super easy to make while camping and only requires two ingredients!
- 540 ml can apple pie filling
- 1 container Pilsbury buscuit dough
- Start by purchasing and packing the ingredients.
- Open the pie filling and scoop it into an aluminum baking dish or pie tin.
- Open the container of biscuits and layer the dough on top of the pie filling.
- Lastly cover the aluminum dish with tinfoil and bake over the campfire on low for 20-30 minutes.
This tinfoil packet nacho recipe is a great way to enjoy pub style nachos while camping. Add this recipe to your next camping trip!