Last summer was my first while following a ketogenic lifestyle. What I quickly learned was that many of my favorite recipes can easily be converted to keto with a few simple substitutions. Bar-b-cue and grilling recipes are especially versatile. That’s why I love these Marinated Steak Skewers! They are perfect to make ahead for camping and keto compliant.
Preparing camping meals at home, before we head into the great outdoors helps to make our trips more enjoyable and stress free. Plus I like leaving the mess at home and eliminating most of the clean up when we are camping.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
[wide-button]Our Favorite Camping Recipes[/wide-button]
These skewers require only a few delicious ingredients. Steak, mushrooms and onions are all keto friendly foods. The marinade that I use is also keto but I have included instructions for anyone not following a low carb lifestyle. I used Coconut Aminos in this recipe but Soy Sauce can easily be substituted. I also use Stevia instead of white sugar or honey but you can totally use your sweetener of choice.
How to make these marinated steak skewers:
Cut the onion and steak into cubes and thread alternatingly onto the bamboo skewers with mushrooms.
Place the skewers into a large freezer safe plastic bag and cover with remaining ingredients. Freeze for up to three months or until ready to use.
Defrost the skewers and grill for about 10 minutes or until steak is cooked to your liking. Pair with my absolute favorite Cauliflower Salad for the perfect camping combination!
Tips for making Camping Freezer Meals:
- Use 1 gallon, large freezer bags (aff link). Label bags with the date, recipe and cooking instructions
- Lay ingredients flat in the bag for easier storage in the freezer.
- Defrost meals in the refrigerator and place into tinfoil packet for cooking or onto bar-b-cue.
- Store meals for up to three months in the freezer.
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
- 1.5 pounds marinating steak, cut into cubes
- 30 small white mushrooms (200g)
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2/3 cup Coconut Aminos (soy sauce can be substituted)
- 1 tsp granulated stevia (or white sugar)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 20 wooden skewers
Cut steak and onion into cubes.
Thread onto wooden skewers alternating steak, mushrooms and onion.
Place into a large freezer safe bag.
Pour remaining ingredients over skewers and freeze until needed.
To cook, defrost and grill until steak is cooked to desired doneness.
What else would you add to these marinated steak skewers? I think that bell peppers would be an amazing addition! Or cherry tomatoes? Yum!